Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Yo Anoop, Beat It.

Alrighty then. It's top 13 week on Idol, here is what I thought upon watching last night's show.

The introduction of the judges and Ryan was... weird, to say the least. Go back to sitting down and having Ryan introduce y'all, yeah judges? You walking in foursome harmony was just lame. At least Simon got a proper introduction with no snide remarks. Ryan said "I bet you loved this", I'm sure Simon did.

First up was Lil Rounds with "The Way You Make Me Feel" which was slightly corny and cheesy. Can't deny that the woman can sing, but do we really need to hear about your three children and the hardships you went through in life AGAIN? Give us something new, Lil, honestly. We want some more personality.

Next up was Scott MacIntyre with "Keep The Faith". I don't know the song, but it sounded mostly rather pleasant (besides a few bum notes here and there). At least he got to play piano and not look awkward just sitting/standing there.

Danny Gokey was third with "PYT (Pretty Young Thing)", another song I didn't know but sung very well. His "dance moves" were awkward and clumsy (Simon's 2 favorite words!). You shouldn't mix the two together, Danny. Though, props for not bringing up the dead wife this week. Lil Rounds, take note! It seems Danny was so overwhelemed of the backlash regarding the constant shoving-down-the-throat of said-dead-wife that he decided to avoid any mention of her all together this week. Wise choice. Ah and back to the song, I hated the backing vocals.

Michael Sarver brought it down with a slightly-countrified version of "You Are Not Alone" (I don't know that one either) and sounded well. A few pitch problems but overall he has a good smooth ol' country voice and twang. I like. I don't think he'll make the finals but he could drag on a few good weeks in the hopes of becoming the new Josh Gracin.

Jasmine Murray sang "I'll Be There" (I know that one). After hearing quite a few versions of that song in the past, I'd have to say I like Westlife and Carrie Underwood's versions a lot better than I do what Jasmine Murray did. But if you close your eyes and focus on the singing, Jasmine sounds like Carrie Underwood on a sore-throat day. Which is half a compliment.

Kris Allen brought it down with "Remember The Time". Another song I don't know but I didn't care. Kris seemed to have a lot of fun with his acoustic guitar and gave a young, fresh and fun performance. Very adorable, I like this dude a lot.

Allison Iraheta sings "Give In To Me" in another violent-rock-chick performance. Her hair covered half her piglike face which could only be a good thing. I can give her the good vocals bit, but I didn't go crazy over her. She needs to show she's a little more than angry-rock-chick. Any adolescent is angry-rock-kid, now lets see if she actually has something unique to offer... Also, work on your diction. Pronouncing "Okay" as "Hoe-kay" and "give it to me" as "hive it to me" is not okay. Stop throwing unnecessary H's everywhere.

Anoop "Anoop Dog" Desai disappoints with a Matrix version of "Beat It". I mean it, those green lights were ridiculous. The performance looked "awkward and clumsy" (thanks Simon) and overall just generally... bad. He didn't showcase anything vocally. Anoop, do us all a favor and take a few pointers from Fall Out Boy on how a cover of this song should sound like.

Jorge Nunez belts out a cheesy incomprehensible version of "Never Can Say Goodbye". My mum and I were saying how he should throw in a 1/4 of a verse in Spanish and for a minute it seemed like it did, but then we realized he actually just sang in heavily accented English. Oi. And he has a weird lazy-eye thing going on. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Megan Joy Corkrey chooses the dumbest song ever, "Rockin' Robin" and gives out a children-educational-tape-worthy performance. It might work with your son at home, Megan, but not on the stage of American Idol. Everything about that performance was too childish, too hyperactive, too over the top cheesy. Not to mention the weird sound she let out at the end of her performance and the strange "dancing". No wonder she's VFTW's pick...

Adam Lambert brought the house down with "Black or White" and I have to say he really did do amazingly well. It was still too theatrical and over the top for me, but it seemed like it really meant a lot to him (he was in near tears there when the judges gushed out at him) so well done, Adam. He even got a genuine compliment from Simon, which is rare.

Matt Giraud hit the bluesy notes with "Human Nature". He chose a song that fit his voice well and sounded good on the piano. He seems more comfortable there. I liked him overall. Just don't like the comparison to Justin Timberlake they keep forcing on him. So yeah, he looks a bit like Justin with those geeky curls but that's it!

Alexis Grace closed the night with "Dirty Diana". She needs to work on her diction a bit too. "Dah-ya-nahhhh!" woooo. A bit over done, but still very kinky and sexy as the judges said. Killer vocals, as always.

Some comments on the judges:
Randy is still a tool. He bores me. He needs to find some new lines.
Kara is a horndog. The woman needs to get laid. She literally has an orgasm during some of the performances. And it seems she's not entirely straight because while she had an orgasm over Matt, she also had one over Alexis. Oooer. She's also a big tool as well. Trying to be this cool-dude and failing the vibe all together. "Man, that was sick" (yes, you are, Kara). Stop talking like you're about to scratch your balls and burp, Kara.
Paula sounded on the verge of tears for half the performances, and totally had an orgasm over Adam. He's gay, Paula. She also accused Simon of sexually harassing her - that is, that he attempted to undress her. Can I just say, eww! A good note about Paula is that I heard her give constructive technical advice for the first time ever. But then she blew it insisting one of the girls' singing was like hearing angels sing. Blah.
Simon was wonderful as ever, calling the sucky ones out when needed and giving compliments and constructive criticism when required. No complaints to Simon, ever.

Anoop and Jorge are in the risk of going home this week, as are Scott and Megan. I'm pretty sure Adam is safe and sound, as is Danny. I'm hoping Kris sticks for another week, he's adorable.

Kelly Clarkson, Kanye West and the TV debut of Carrie Underwood's cover of "Home Sweet Home" as the goodbye song this year are all set for tonight's show (which I will watch tomorrow and attempt to review if I find anything worthwhile to say about it).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home